Sunday, March 20, 2011

Parkside small group workshop

Parkside held a workshop on small group, how to lead and participated in one.

The first session was about the basics of small group, the purpose of one and the basis of one.  Purpose of small group is simple, receive Christ as Lord and live with Christ as Lord.  To receive Christ is what it means, salvation to conversion to trust Christ.  Small group should do that for unbelievers because of the teaching that transformed lives.  To live with Christ is the daily relationship with Christ.  This is the fundamentals of the small groups, building relationship to promote the purpose of small group.

The second session was on essentials of small group, which should be Gospel centered and small group should be learning from Bible, praying together, serving each other, evangelism and disseminating information.  Gospel should the main ingredient of the small group and it should direct us how to live our lives.  Small group should not be special interests focus among the members since it can very easily excluder new comers.

The last session was the practical application of leading small group.  The leader should lead the small group to be a faithful shepherd and be a humble servant.  Seek out unbelievers (the lost sheep) and serve each other in the small group.  Then we had an exercise where we each have a role who are difficult to handle in small group.  It just goes to show that even with people that are disruptive within the group, a good leader can turn it to good and enhance the dynamics of the group. Then the finally onto the basic structure of small group and pearls of wisdom.

This workshop really remind me that I need to find my own small group of girls and have weekly meeting where open up ourselves and have each of us hold accountable.  It has been since college that I have been in a true small group.  Throughout med school, it's only been Kirstin that has really been there for me.  So far in Cleveland, it's only been Angel and a little with Sarah.  I'm praying that I'll be better plugged in at Parkside here and find my own niche with my own group to hold me accountable.  I'm finding that since I've been going to Parkside, I'm having more of burning desire to better my relationship with God and wanting to read and know about Him through Bible.

We met Rosa who sat with us at our table.  She regaled us with stories on relationships with what she had seen and experienced.  It was very informative.  She was the first person that have treated me like a daughter since I've moved to Cleveland.  I hope I'll find more older ladies that are willing to be my "mother".

No comments: