Monday, March 14, 2011

Birthday weekend ...

Weekend arrived thinking that I just might end up spending my birthday by myself again. But Lord was great, provided me company so I'm not lonely and actually develop deeper friendships in Cleveland.

Started the weekend off with Le Petit Triangle Cafe for brunch with Hee-Jeong and Erika, girls I met in Chinese church but they are non-Chinese. It was good times. I don't think I have laughed as much or as hard since I've been in Cleveland.  The two of them are quite a pair.  Random thoughts connected, random comments with no filter, friendly abuse and most of all, I felt like they are people that I can have fun random hang out.  Needless to say, the food wa awesome. This is a French cafe and they have crepes, my all time favs.  I've always had chocolate crepes but decided to try their chicken cheddar chutney crepes.  Oh my, yummy to the nth power!

Later, I had my girl date with Angel at Paladar.  Its's a Latin restaurant with more of Cuban flavor.  We decided to share our dinner, which was fine by me since I had such a yummy brunch earlier.  For appetizer, we had chorizo and cheese papusa. It was good, chorizo and cheese stuffed between plantains and corn cakes with spicy tomato sauce.  You can actually taste every single flavor in it. For entree we shared the roasted chicken mole.  The chicken was tender and was served with fried plantains and mole sauce over rice.  The mole sauce was slightly different than what I have tasted before, not my very favorite but still yummy nonetheless.  For dessert, we had their flan.  Wow, that definitely was the hi-light.  It was creamy and couldn't taste the egg taste that's common with flan.  Overall, would definitely come back for other tastes.  I want to try their guacamole since they have different flavor base on the chef's inspiration.

After dinner, we went to Wickliffe bowling lane with other people from church and bowl for 3 games, as there was a special going with 3 games and shoes for $10. Let's just say, I sucked.  My highest was 89 and my scores just got progressively worse over the next 2 games.  I did have fun though, trying to learn to spin the ball. What a sight that was.  Also I came home with a broken thumb nail. Owie. Oh well, will just be 2 weeks before it'll be fixed.  Time change too, spring forward.  So tired, losing an hour of sleep, but worth it.

After Parkside church on Sunday, me and Angel went to McCormick and Schmick for lunch and Mitchell's ice cream after we walked around the mall for a little bit to see if there was anything eye catching. McCormick and Schmick's is good seafood restaurant.  I had the crab and shrimp melt, a little saltier that I would have liked but yummy, delish.  Just couldn't tell if the crab meat for fresh or canned. Mitchell's as always, just absolute dreamy.

So for my actual birthday, it was a Monday so I had to work but I did get myself my family version of traditional birthday dinner.  My family always celebrated birthday with a seafood galore with noodles, with both, it usually means more than enough blessings and longevity.  Then we would have an Asian French style cake.  So for myself, I got dinner from Wonton Gourmet (Sichuan fish and chicken pan fried noodle) and mini tiramisu cake from KoKo bakery.  It was good enough for myself but really wished I had my mom's homemade dinner.  It will have to do until I can get home to my mom's birthday dinner.

No comments: