Tuesday, March 06, 2012

PRK Surgery

Today is the surgery.  And I'm post call, thankfully I was able to get some sleep throughout the night at the hospital so I was not completely exhausted, bleary eyed.

I took 1 valium as I arrived to the office then checked in and paid.  Then I was taken into their suite and was given a baggie of eye drops, lovely plastic sunglasses and sleep goggles and instructions. Lovely hairnet like cap placed and laid down on the surgical chair.  Numbing eye drops to each eye.  Right eye first, so a soft patch to left eye, then tape to protect the eyelashes and the eye lid spread to keep eye open to right.  The first I noticed was light sensitivity with the bright lights around the red/green laser area. Unfortunately, those bright lights are needed for the beginning during the cornea epithelium scraping. More drops are placed, some sharp looking thing picking and scarping, water to wash off, more scraping with a magnified glass and more water to wash off.  This part took at least 5 min and the laser itself was about a min. Then more water wash off, cleaning and finally the last set of eye drops and the contact bandage before patch goes on.  Then it's a repeat process for the left eye.  The whole process took about 30 min. After all was done, I could see but hazy/cloudy.  Sunglasses on once I left the suite.

For the rest of the day, pretty much slept on and off and continuous use of the eyedrops.  I didn't feel the pain that others have described. Everything is hazy and blurry and I had all my blinds pulled and kept my apartment fairly dark.  I put my audiobooks on my ipod to good use for the day.

The drops given:
Pink top: Prednisolone 1% - every hour for the first day, then 4x/day for 1 week, 3x/day for 2nd week, 2x/day for 3rd week, 1x/day for 4th week then stop
Beig top: Ciprofloxacin - 4x/day for 7days and done
Grey top: Diclofenac - 4 more times then stop
Refresh Plus: use as needed

Personal stock up and research additions:
Refresh Plus - stocked up from Costco, $19 for 100 vials, cheaper than Walgreen/CVS
Refresh PM - for night time to prevent dry eyes or stuck eyelids in the AM.
Humidifier - don't have one, so large bowl of water to allow for evaporation
Vit C/ Omega 3 - started about 2 weeks prior

No comments: