Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

of course, I'm on ID and the first day, was told that Thanksgiving is a regular work day, not a holiday or weekend. Bummer, didn't think I was going to be able to go to Eskestrands for the holiday but could make it to the church one though.

That week was also my first official week on ID with just me, senior res and staff and the load of patients just keep increasing and days are long with us meeting our educational requirement. Days go from 7:30a to 6p.

For Thanksgiving, thankfully, it was quiet and the fellow let us go around 1pm whenever we finished with out share of consults. I did manage to get to Eskestrands' luncheon and met some of their friends from their church. It was nice since it's a truly homecooked thanksgiving meal and good people and company. It at least made me feel like it a family gathering.

After the lunch, I basically got home and showered then went straight to the church dinner with Nepalese and Burmese refugees. It was multicultural and was very nice to see other people who were not able to go home for the holiday gathering together because we have God and church in common.

By the end of the night, I was stuffed, got some left over from church that lasted me for another 2 meals. I'm very thankful that God has provided me with friends that willing to take me in and a church that provided me a home away from home.

I did miss my "mistress", Kirstin's, family, I have spent previoius Thanksgiving with them, they are very much like my own family except Americans and do the traditional Thanksgiving meal. I haven't been to my own family's Thanksgiving get together in years. This year, there's not one potluck but just a few of of family members having dinner with my grandmother. It's always one holiday where I don't try really hard to get myself back home. Christmas is the one that I tried harder. Oh well, but I had fun, not too bad this year being alone.

No comments: