Saturday, November 20, 2010

COMLEX step 3

Yucky ... glad that it's the last one for the ridiculous COMLEX. My goal is to just pass and if I scored high, then it'll be a bonus.

Materials:
First Aid Step 3 - chose this because bad experience with Crush step 2, not a fan of sentences/paragraphs study guides. Need something that is readable and easy to understand.
Combank - used it for step 2 and it was fine, so I stuck with it. signed up for it for a month.

Plan: read the FA book twice and do the Qbank for the month with the goal of getting around 70%.

Note: By the last week before the test, I got really sick of it, so the weekend before I just decided to not do any studying. I even went to the B-Ball game the week before. I guess it's pretty true that for Step 3, you just need a No. 2 pencil. :) I'm not that crazy but I think if I had studied 10-12 hr/day for 2 weeks, it would've been fine. Certainly glad that I'm done.

Test: it's long, 400Qs in 8hrs. There are some ridiculous questions, like anatomy related to OMM (literally muscle insertion and what not) and ethics/medicare/medicaid. Lots of OB and peds and case related. There are certainly a few of pull out of the hat types as well. Generally the format and the feel were similar to Step 2. Ended up with a headache by the end.

As a treat, I went to SalonBlu for eyebrow wax and a short massage. The therapist was good, excellent. She went right for the muscles and got the eyebrows right. Totally coming back for it even though it was a bit pricey.

Update: 12/18 - passed Step 3. Lowest of the 3 but passed with a good cushion. 487/81.
Also as of now, my eyebrows are still in good shape even a month after. Plan on going back 1-2 weeks before going to Taiwan.

No comments: