Friday, August 28, 2009

UTSW

Today, officially done with my anesthesia rotation at UTSW. The month have flown by and it was a really good experience. There was definitely a lot of getting to meet the right people and showcasing myself so that I won't look like an idiot. I definitely felt like I had to be on my toes a bit even though the attendings didn't pimp as much as I thought they would.

Overall, the program is very solid. The residents definitely get to do a lot and see a variety of cases. They rotate through 5 different hospital throughout Dallas and get to see how each hospital run the anesthesia department. I get the impression that once finish, the residents are very well clinically trained. Research wise, I know it's there but I just didn't get the feeling that it's heavily emphasized. Perhaps they just don't showcase that aspect to the students.

The didactic portion is good. It's mostly online and they expect the residents read the short blurp on the topic of the day and read up the case of the week and discuss them with the attendings. There's weekly conference and other lectures depending on the service the residents are on. The program is definitely more self motivated and less structured on lectures.

I would totally come here in a heart beat. The staff is great and there's really good relationship among the residents and the staff.

No comments: