Tuesday, May 24, 2011

SICU ... hmm

It's been a long 2 months ... 14 calls total with some crazy things interspersed.

SICU environment is one where there's a steep learning curve on everything, ventilation, acute management, putting out fires overnight.  I enjoyed the learning environment, all the staff and fellows are more than willing to teach.  There are a few stories I've got on the seniors that I was on call with.

I'm sure there's always a senior where everything has problems with.  And this one is driving everything nuts.  He has a military background and very much into hierarchy.  It's interesting how he fits in with other anesthesiologists as the people in the field is more laid back, less uptight about the whole medicine hierarchy.  Also I'm not really sure how much clinical knowledge he's got.  He's gotten into some trouble over some things that he's done, like starting insulin drip less than 24hrs after a pancreas transplant.  The nurses did not like him as well so that makes life for me at night a little more difficult.  The nurses will try their best to get around him and find me for things but because I'm an intern, there are some things that I still have to get an ok from him.  Also at times, he would like to teach at 2-3am and I'm like, I'm exhausted and nothing he teach will stay with me. So don't waste anyone's time and just move on.  Boy, am I glad that this is done.  I feel bad for the other intern who was on call with him a couple of times.  He really walked over her, more so than me.  I just don't let anyone walk over me, especially major things.  I also got yelled at by one of the staff when one of his patient went into Afib and find that her electrolytes needed replacement all day, which was not done. 

The second month was not much better.  The first month was actually fun cuz we would prank page each other, talk about other things outside of hospital, in general, we just get along better.  The second month, people were just not as friendly and I find it harder to talk to them about random things.  On top of that there's also another senior who was not fun to work with.  She a little more hands off and disappears throughout the night.  Also during daytime, she would sign out a bit of things to do to the night time. 

I definitely know that when I become a senior, what not to do.

At the end, I just felt like I have been holed up in the ICU dungeon and have absolutely no idea what else is happening with anyone else.  I'm glad that I'm done with ICU until my 3rd year.  Also realized that I'm not a critical care person as I was getting really tired of the medicine that has become more like the floor.  So that's definitely one fellowship I have ruled out.

No comments: