Monday, May 16, 2011

Food ... last 2 months

I haven't stopped eating out to try places despite my somewhat crazy schedule.  The reviews might be out of order but there they are.

South Side
Went there twice.  First time was brunch and I had chicken and waffle.  Before you say gross, it is very yummy despite the sound of it.  I remembered the first time I had chicken and waffle was Roscoe's in LA, I was grossed out by it too until I took my first bite.  It's soo good that you can feel you arteries clogging up. South Side was just as good, crispy chicken and waffle with maple syrup and cinnamon butter.  Totally recommend it.  The second time I went for late night dinner and ordered Grilled Eggplant Capresa sandwich with Fried Portabella.  The sandwich was made with fresh mozzarella and the portabella was fresh too. mouthwatering.  The atmosphere was great too, very friendly, great place for just hanging out, time with girlfriends.

Chinato
Went there on a Friday nite for dinner.  Not impressed at all.  The portion was ok but pricey.  The flavor is just not there.  It wasn't anything special.  Whatever I ordered, it didn't make a lasting impression.  The atmosphere was ok, a little loud, maybe it's because people were eating there prior to bars.

Sushi Rock - Beachwood
It's very modern for a Japanese cuisine.  The menu is very fusion like and the decor portrayed that too.  It would be a good date night too.  I had the Golden dragon roll and my girlfriend had the sushi rock tempura roll.  They are both good.  Very well made, it's comparable to the ones I've had in Cali.  I also had the lobster bisque.  It's a little weakness of mine, lobster bisque and pumpkin bisque, always gotta try them if the restaurants have them.  The soup was a little too salty but huge portion.  The calamari appetizer looked good too, I think I would get that next time too.  I would come again but it won't be the top sushi place, it's a little too fusion for Japanese cuisine.

Pacific East - Eaton Village
Yummy!!  It's got good sushi, no doubt.  Even now, I can totally go back and eat more.  They've got good size portion, especially if you ordered the bento box/combo.  The flavor is there with the raw fish and they've got some good combo and some with their own added twist.  Can't wait to try the one here in Coventry.

Melange
Eh. Not enough flavor.  I had the lobster mac and cheese and something just didn't taste right.  It's got a taste of seafood not clean or not cooked proper.  I could smell and taste the fishiness.  It's definitely got the Midwest portion,  I had enough for another 2 meals and when I heat up the leftover, there was so much oil.  gross.  definitely not coming.

The Mad Greek
It's my 2nd trip.  Love the place.  It's a great little Mediterranean restaurant, family owned but large enough to not be hole in the wall.  It's fancier than Taza and a little more formal.  The food, oh my, delish. The first time I ordered the gyro and the second time I had chicken souvlaki.  They were both yummy. It's not too salty and there were both refreshing, exactly what I would imagine Greek cuisine would be like.

Aladdin - across from Mad Greek
Aladdin's Flavor special is cheap and good.  Totally would be something I would be ordering takeout, which I already did.  Their hot sauce is something, it's tart, pepper spicy and a hint of sweetness too.  I know, usually I don't eat beef but for this I made an exception.  They did well, very juicy and flavorful.  Even the rice was good too.  None of it tasted too oily and it's light too.  The atmosphere is very casual, very collegiate like.  It reminds of the restaurants in Westwood when I was at UCLA.

Blake's Seafood - Crocker Park
We just had a good day and just decided to stop in for dinner. I had Garlic Crusted Haddock.  The fish was cooked nicely and it had the richness that the haddock has.  The place is like a steakhouse environment that serves mostly seafood.  It has the very Western flavor in the decor but at the same time it feels like there's a little class.  Dunno if I would come back for seconds.

Wow, after all this, realized I ate a lot.  I'm sure there's going to more later .... :)

No comments: