Monday, January 10, 2011

ALD (Pulm)

Started this rotation off with Dr. Akindipe and each of us with 3-4 patients to get to know. Fortunately, I already knew the fellow, Mike, so it wasn't too awkward. There is a PA Kathy and NP Melanie. I realize for the past 6 months so far, I have learned to work with NP/PA to help with the workload.

Anyways, the week was nice, round started around 11am and would be cone by 2pm. After that we just update what we need to then we can sign out the NP/PA as long as one of us is around to help with admission/transfers. Even then, that's only until 4:30pm. Not too bad. Mike was hilarious and very entertaining. He pretty much has a comment for every patient, depending who was seeing the patient and what topics we were chatting about.

2nd week, we had Dr. Minai and it was the week before Christmas, which I worked. Schedule was very similar to the previous week as well. Done fairly early, considering that I didn't come in until 8a on most days. But we did change fellow. For the next 2 weeks, it was Fadi. He was good too. He's a little high strung in the sense that he gets easily stressed out.

The 3rd week was when Fadi really stressed out. We were short one resident, and Dr. Chapman was staff. He known to round forever, the never ending rounds. And our list of patients were long too. I think they said that it's the longest they have seen. Our own floors were filled and we had 8 pts spilled over to other 2 units. We starts rounds around noon but still did not finish until around 7pm. I left around 6pm most nights when I finished with my patients. Thankfully, I did not have patients that are at the end of the list. It was exhausting. By the end Fadi have had it and was stressed out. Then I finally got a holiday weekend off. My New Years weekend fun.

Last week was with Dr. Lane and with a brand new fellow, his first time on the service. The fellow was nice but he was learning so there were a little scrambling at times.  But all in all, it was a good week

No comments: