Saturday, August 21, 2010

Nephrology ...

2 weeks on transplant and 2 weeks of floor consults.

Transplant: Basically, my work is with acute renal injuries in any transplant patients, heart, lungs, kidney and any other organs that CCF have deemed transplantable. It was a 2 weeks since with my luck, now new kidney/pancreas transplants but the Monday after I left the service there were 3, of course. But I definitely get to see some crazy transplants done. Lungs were the scariest ones since most of the patients either don't leave the hospital or if they do leave, they'll end up coming back a couple months of later and not leave then. Kidney/pancreas transplant seem to have the most success. Liver patients are disasters to start with so they are disasters to end. Heart transplant still amazes me. Patient comes with nearly nonfunctioning heart or already on some sort of artificial heart pump and they leave here with a functioning heart. Amazing. Definitely my first time seeing some of these amazing procedures that I have only read about in the last couple of years. With these people, either they do really well or they crash hard. Of all the transplant I would not recommend lung transplant unless it's the absolutely the last resort.

Floor Consult: Pretty much anyone with kidney problems, either chronic or acute. Acute on chronic, new acute injury, dialysis. It's almost always the same. But I did get to meet some of the other medicine residents/interns and urology intern. It was fun 2 weeks with them since each of us know different things/ procedures.

Overall this rotation, I have definitely learn a bit about the kidney and what happens during surgery/low BP from other reasons and how to care for it. Immunosupressants really do a number on the body organs, brain, kidney, liver and any other organs that bugs would like to live on.

No comments: