Sunday, February 08, 2009

Life, Death and Age

This past week has started out shocking but not quite depressing but by today, it is outright depressing. Earlier, I got a notice saying the sister of one of the girls that I knew at UCLA has been diagnosed with a really rare stage 4 cancer, either paraganglioma or carcinoid. She is only 21, I think. I have met her a couple of times where her sister brought her out to church a few times. She is not a believer and I really wonder what her thinking is with this facing her. Her sister, B, has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer a few years back and has recurred again over the las year. Their mother was also diagnosed with breast cancer. B is a believer and I have heard from her when I was at UCLA how she went through it with God at her side leading her. That really got me thinking how in the world would I deal with something like this if I didn't have God on my side. It would be hard because I wouldn't know that there is something better waiting for me and know the hope that God has given me.

Then 3 days ago, I got one of the massive email from GOC group asking for prayers for Grace and Andrew. I knew that Andrew's tongue cancer came back a few months ago and things were actually looking okay, so I was totally not expecting this email from them. I then come to find out that there isn't really much hope on the cure unless it's a miracle. But miraculous healing does happen thought. Then I finally got an email last night saying that he passed. This really shock my system for a bit. I actually met the couple a few times during my freshmen year and then hearing this really jarred me. I was thinking wow, someone so young and someone that I actually know has gone through this and is really gone. Not only did he and his family fought the cancer aggressively, I was thinking what are his kids going to do. They are 3 1/2 and 2 1/2 yr old. They have blog of their journey. It's definitely worth the reading to see how God was glorified in their lives.

This all brought me to think that life and death really don't care about age. If it is set to happen then it will, no matter how much is fought. Life has to be taken care of, living to the fullest and having no regrets. Death will come and the preparation for it is not to prepare how to die but to prepare to die without regrets, without feeling that you haven't done a certain thing yet. Whatever that is done on earth will stay and nothing can be taken with death. So everyone's death does have an impact on somebody whether it's a good one or not. Why not make our own impact a good one so that even our deaths will help someone? I truly see that God has it designed that even our deaths are to glorify His work and to let others see what an awesome God he is.

No comments: