Monday, September 06, 2010

Frustrated ... Lesson learned

Never ever agree to cover someone else's call for a couple of hours. Be sure to switch call days if needed.

I stupidly agree to cover for about 4 hours on Labor Day so my colleague can see her husband for the long weekend. Of course, I knew that there was a risk of her flight being delayed but I was not expecting what was about to happened. I was on 24 hr on Sunday already. Even though my call was very quiet not at all busy but still, I was tired and ready to go home and be away from the hospital. I was planning on grocery shopping to stock up for the week and just relax before working again the next day. I would still have majority of the day left when I was to leave at noon.

Of course I got a call around 11am from my colleague that she missed her flight and her connecting flight is delayed until 2:30pm. So I was like fine. But inside, I was thinking how can you miss your flight when you know that someone is covering for you. If I was her, I would not miss the flight cuz then I would feel bad and I wouldn't want something like this happen to me. Be warn. I was being kind in covering, missing a flight is a big no no.

Then when 2:30pm came along, she called saying that she's landed and is currently on her way. So I was expecting her around 3pm since it only takes about 30min from the airport to the hospital. She didn't get in until 4pm and that's when I found out that she went home to her work bag and scrubs and then back to the hospital. How can you not have your work things already in the car when you are fully aware that you would be coming straight from the airport to work to relieve the person who has generously agreed to cover. It was unbelievable. Now that's what I call total irresponsibility. By the time she got in, I was so pissed that I couldn't even make small talk. I had to sign out immediately and leave or else I would've said something mean.

There goes my day and my week in shambles. Lesson: never cover. only swap. be responsible when asking someone to do something for you.

No comments: