Monday, October 06, 2008

Psychiatric start

Finished peds rotation almost 2 weeks ago. The NBME shelf exam, end of rotation exam, wasn't too bad. It was mostly case scenarios and trying to figure out what the diagnosis for each case was. I got the score back and I passed. I didn't really study much, just read the Blueprints and Pretest. Well there goes my first end of rotation exam. One down, 7 more to go.

Now I'm on psychiatric ward. It's an inpatient unit with mostly schizophrenics and depressed patients. So far it's been interesting. Even though some of them has the same diagnosis, they all behave very differently. The best or the funniest part is our preceptor (our doc in charge). He's in his 70s and is from Cuban so his accent is still quite heavy. He likes to lecture us on philosophy and it would be on a tangent topic of what we have asked. Also he talk to us about treatments that slightly far fetched and antiquated. Between him and my psych professor in med school, I feel like most of the psychiatrists are very eccentric and borderline being diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder.

So far the schedule has been morning group session where they talk about their goals for the day and meeting anyone that's new. Then either exercise session or we read then lunch time for us. After lunch, we see the patients with either Dr Gomez, our preceptor, or with Dr. Lizardo, the doc for the involuntary committed patients. It's been a relatively light rotation with lots of time for reading, chatting or taking breaks. I got to know a few students from UNE, Firas, Ryan and Eric. They are funny and very informative. This is the first time since I've been here where I feel like I'm actually meeting people and being able to talk to them.

We'll see how the rest of rotation pan out.

No comments: